Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Most Unchurched Places

I am finally getting on a writing project I've been meaning to do for some time. My editor at On Mission magazine has agreed to let me do a series called Shadowlands: The Most Unchurched Places in North America. We are doing this by theme - Most Unchurched College Town, Most Unchurched City, Most Unchurched Place You've Never Heard Of, etc.

And the information is hard to get. Our mission board research department has information by county, but not by city or town or village. And much of our information does not include other denominations or non-denominational churches. And of those, we do not know which ones are preaching the gospel or how many people they are reaching. When I was a church planter in Maine, we had to go visit towns to see if there was a need for new churches. We could research from afar, but did not know the true situation till we got on the ground.

So I need your help. We are asking those on the ground all over NA (like church planters) to share with us their knowledge of places without churches. My hope is that these articles would attract faithful and adventurous church planters to some places that really need the gospel.

So jump in! Where are some places (towns, cities, areas, counties) in North America without churches?

4 Comments:

Blogger CB Scott said...

Roger,

Two places come to the very forefront of my thoughts:

South Central Pennsylvania

Southwest Virginia

Those two places have very few Great Commission Churches.

Thanks for asking.

cb

2:09 PM  
Blogger Roger Ferrell said...

CB,
Thanks for your thoughts. Can you give me a list of towns in those areas that come to mind as being particularly unchurched? Are you thinking Bristol to Blacksburg in VA and the Harrisburg area of PA?

8:24 PM  
Blogger Roger Ferrell said...

Adam,
Thanks for sharing this with me. I will check it out. Can you email me info for your contact there in Blackfoot? I am sure they will be able to provide insight on that area. My email is roger@missionmpossible.net.
Thanks!

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am planting a church in Denver, CO.
There are a lot of churches in Denver but not alot of Churched people.
shawnwoodcook@yahoo.com

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home